Thursday, March 6, 2008

Shooting Skeet in the Emirates

Last year, I had an assignment troubleshooting a fast track project being built in Dubai. The project wasn't all that complicated and I found I had to fill my weekends with extracurricular activities. After riding 4 wheelers in the dunes and abras on the Creek, there wasn't much left to occupy my free time. After all, how much time can you spend shopping in designer malls? Then I discovered skeet shooting. While I was pretty fair with a rifle and a handgun, I had never shot at things flying in the air. It seems the Jebel Ali resort, which was about 5 minutes from my construction trailer office, has a world class skeet and trap range. A member of the royal family, Sheikh Ahmed Bin Hashar Al Maktoum, won Olympic Gold in double trap shooting and he trains here. Hell, they probably built it just so he could train for the Olympics. I found that shooting a couple of boxes of 12 gauge bird shot was a great way to burn off the frustrations of the day. They provided a nice Beretta over/under shotgun and a "gun walla".

No comments: