Sunday, July 7, 2019

Local Swamp - Update

As Groucho said, "I'm not sure I want to belong to any club that would have me as a member." For better or worse, I am on the email list of the group opposing tolls on the proposed bridge. We have had a couple of meetings with our state representative and have gotten the parish council to send a letter to governor opposing the tolls. The problem as I see it is that the DOTD has decided they want to do a public private partnership and is determined to proceed. There are a couple of rabble rousers in the group and they have been quite vocal in complaining to the local politicians. They have ignored my comments regarding design and construction and focused on going back over old issues that have already been approved by the public (redoing the design basis). While governor says he won't force the bridge on an unwilling public, it has not occurred to them that their options are (1) a new bridge with tolls, or (2) keep the current bridge and deal with the traffic when it lifts for boat traffic. If they raise too much hell, they will lose federal grant money.

Stay tuned.

No comments: