Wednesday, May 28, 2014

To STEM, or not to STEM

I called AT&T in order to get an international calling card because rates from hotel phones are so outrageous. I had an enjoyable conversation with their representative. I told her I was going to Paris and she then told me that she always wanted to go there, that she was a fine arts major and wanted see the impressionists.

After I hung up I had the thought that she went to college to get a fine arts degree and she was now working as a phone representative in a boiler room. She only gets to see art in books. I went to college and got an engineering degree. I'm being paid to visit the same cities she wants to go to and see the original work of art.

If you have a high school student who is making a career decision, this scenario might help them make up their mind about STEM.

No comments: