Saturday, May 31, 2014

D Day Visitor

Travel route was to Houston to connect with Lufthansa. Then to Frankfurt and then to Paris. I'm not sure if its the Lufthansa or the 100 business class passengers in the A380 but the service seems have become less than I remember. Even so. the trip was smooth. The only aggravation was the security inspection at Frankfurt when making the connection there. It was the closest thing I've had to a strip search with my clothes on. All manual - no scanners.

While waiting for baggage in Paris, I noticed an elderly gentleman. I asked him if he was over for the 70th anniversary. He brightened up and told me the capsule version of  his WW II service. He was a medic in the 2nd Division and landed on Omaha on the third day. He was in the Battle for St. Lo. He went on to Brest. He was on the northern flank during the Battle of the Bulge. He crossed the Rhine and went into Czechoslovakia. I wish I had more time to talk as he seemed eager to tell his story. June 6th is almost here and these guys are almost all gone. God bless them.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Amen to that... God Bless them all!