Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day 2008

Now that we’re back on standard time, it is darker than normal during my morning drive to work. This morning, a coyote ran across the road in front of me. He was almost road kill. He was coming from a residential area and running to a small wooded section near the river. I wonder if the folks living in the nearby developments are missing any pets. I sure hope his running in front of me was a good omen for the election today.

In case you ever wondered why we vote on Tuesdays in the month of November, it was because we used to be a nation of farmers. November was selected because the crops were in and there was a lull in farm work. Tuesday was selected because it usually took a day to travel to the polling place. (We rode horses, remember?) Therefore, Monday and Wednesday were travel days and you didn’t have to violate the Sabbath.

No comments: