Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Italy

I just got back from a long awaited trip to Italy. (Cashed in a few frequent flier miles) Here is a list of random thoughts about the trip.
  • Florence and Rome could be cleaner. I was particularly disturbed by the amount of graffiti in Florence on the historic stone buildings.
  • I ended up with a VW Golf diesel with a 6 speed standard for a rental car. I haven't driven a stick in a long time and I was surprised at how fast it came back to me. I had forgotten the satisfaction of snicking through the gears and the fact that shifting up and down became such an unconscious act.
  • The Autostrada is a great highway but they installed a crash rail that is uncomfortably close to the left lane. In fact, it blocks your view in a tight left hand turn. I never got used to that rail flashing by me ear at 80 MPH.
  • In two weeks we never had a bad meal. And we ate in everything from a hole in the wall local pizzeria to a 4 star restaurant in Rome. Everyone in Italy, it seems, has mad cooking skills.
  • If you order a salad, you will get a bottle of balsamic vinegar and a bottle of locally made olive oil. Don't bother trying to get any other dressing.
  • The Italians like to tailgate. And I mean so close you need K-Y.
  • I had a GPS in the car. I programmed it to take the "shortest route". This led to some interesting trips down secondary roads. In one case, it took me down a dirt road through a vineyard after crossing the A1 on what I swear was an overpass still in construction. It will take you through all the small towns but its a great way to see the real Italy.
  • When you miss a turn, a nice lady on the GPS will ask you to "When possible, make an authorized U-turn". I heard that many times.
  • Pizzerias will serve things other than pizza. It's possible in some to get a regular meal. And they all have wood fired ovens. Thin crust only!
  • Many businesses that we saw (restaurants and hotels) are family run affairs. It seems to be the norm that Mom, Dad and the kids all run the operation together.
  • For the 2nd Amendment folks: I saw Puccini's birthplace. (The opera guy) He is buried in his summer home by a nearby lake. He is buried in the house between his music room and gun room. He called his rifle his "second most favorite instrument". So, opera guys can be gun guys, too.
  • I don't know much about the history of WW II in this part of Italy. Most of the fighting here took place in the fall of 1944. However, it is easy to see that the terrain would favor the partisans. The hills are too steep for tanks to go cross country and it would be a bitch to assault a prepared defensive position. Our host at small hotel told me that his grandmother used to bring food to the partisans when she was a child.
  • Most public toilets have no seats. This is no problem for the guys who only need to do No. 1 but it's a problem for the ladies. They have to "hover".

No comments: