Thursday, August 28, 2014

Finlaggan - Cask Stregth

It's been a while since I posted any whiskey tasting but being in Europe gives me the chance to taste whiskeys that are not normally available in the States. Finlaggan is one.

I wanted a whiskey last night and the waiter confessed that, while he knew wine, he did not know whiskey but he invited me to look over their selection. The Finlaggan immediately stood out as I had never heard of it before.

It is a pale amber in color and has a very strong iodine smell. In fact, it was so strong that I was worried that the whiskey may be a bit harsh. On the first taste I was pleasantly surprised. The taste is smooth and invites you to swish it around in your mouth for a longer taste. It goes down with a pleasingly warm glow and leaves a nice finish. Even my wife, who does not normally like straight single malts, liked this one.

Finlaggan is an Islay malt sold by the Vintage Malt Whiskey Company, Ltd. It is named for a ruined castle on Islay that was once the home of the "Lord of the Isles". Its distiller, however, is a secret. The only thing its maker will say about it is that it will always come from the same distillery. This has led to endless speculation among whiskey snobs about its origin. Some say it is a younger version (less than 10 years) of  _______ (pick your Islay distillery). The one thing they all agree on is that they like its cheap price, and the mystery of its origin.

2 comments:

Home on the Range said...

I will now be on a quest to find some for our next flying squirrel "Scotch Night".

Old NFO said...

Interesting... :-)