Saturday, April 30, 2011

More TSA Adventures

I was leaving Houston last Thursday and opting out of the virtual strip search as usual. (Bear in mind that I know the pat down procedure and I know it includes a check for explosives at the end.) I told the agent to skip the explanation - I knew it by heart and I knew the drill - so he ran through the pat down while I kept up casual banter and told him I sometimes found the pat down faster than the x-ray. He swabbed his gloves and put the swab in the explosives detector. "It may not be faster today", he said. There on the screen, in big red letters was "EXPLOSIVES DETECTED".

Huh! "I've always wondered what happens if you get a positive reading", I commented.

He was joined by another agent and they asked me to enter their cubical for a private pat down.

"I prefer to have the pat down in public - right here."
"No sir, we must do it in here."
"Why?"
"It's the rules."
"Can you show me the rules and where it says that?"
"No sir."
"Are you ashamed of what you are doing?"
"No sir"
"Then lets do it here in public."
"Its the rules. Or I can call a policeman."


At this point I relented and we went into the cubical. The pat down was the same, except that he used his palms for a full contact pat down. I suspect that is why they go into the cubical. They don't want any more cell phone videos showing the TSA feeling up passengers.

This time the explosives test was negative and I was allowed to proceed. Of course, in the meantime they had pulled my boarding pass and called to have my bag pulled and all that had to be undone.

The last group of people who used adherence to "the rules" to justify their actions were defendants at the Nuremberg trials. Bear that in mind when dealing with the TSA.

4 comments:

rexxhead said...

http://dispatchesfromheck.blogspot.com/2011/04/security-theater.html

Suzanne said...

I agree with you in my open letter to TSA employees (linked). "Just following orders" is no excuse. "Security" is always used to justify abuse of power, and "secrecy" is always the method. It makes me ill.

Carmen said...

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I wonder what would have happened if you have waited for a police officer to come by. Maybe then you could have either gotten a clear answer on "the rules" or have been able to have the pat down in public.

Anonymous said...

Are you certain the tsa puke didn't hit the 'whoopee' button to flash a fake 'positive'?

Time permitting I'd like to watch the fun when the tsa costumed clowns call for the coppers.